Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Holey Moley!!

Sources for woollen fabrics are scarce in my part of the world, so we often look to alternatives, such as the various charity shops that have popped up. While I don't really frequent these stores on a regular basis, I'll occasionally pop in to check out any fabrics/haberdashery that may have been donated. One such excursion, at least 6 years ago, unearthed this lovely piece of wool gabardine - 5 metres in all and 150cm wide.

When I bought the fabric, I knew there were some moth holes, but at $6 for the bundle, there was plenty to work with. The fabric was washed and dried, and I set about marking all the moth holes with safety pins.

That winter season, I made a pair of trousers. Fast forward to now, and being part of the 2013 Style the Stash Sew a Long I rediscovered the remaining piece of this fabric. It was time to free myself of this stash fabric, by way of another pair of winter pants.

A pattern was found, found some lining in the stash too, and so the cutting began, avoiding all the holes marked with the safety pins .... all except 3 tiny, tiny almost holes in one of the back pattern pieces, that weren't discovered until after making the rear jetted pockets. YIKES!! And no more fabric to cut another back section.

Two and half hours spent weaving the holes closed with threads from the leftover scraps, I could finally start assembling the pants the next day.

I just need to hem, press and photograph them.

No comments: